This fall I ended up booking a fair amount of travel across a 6-week period. Previously, I had not leveraged various online fitness resources. However, this time frame allowed me the chance to give them a try and figure out my favorite go-to’s.
In considering this avenue, there are essentially two directions to take;
- pick and chose from pre-set workouts, many of which are on platforms that include filters to help make a decision
- sign up for online programs that provide courses in a sequential nature
It seems a little more likely to find free options in category #1, but for paid options in category #2, the price point may not be high and the structure they provide could help to stay on track.
I tried the following;
- Fitness Blender is very easy to follow, has great filter settings and covers a wide range of fitness type and levels. Also, I LOVED the timer.
- Jessica Smith TV had been featured in a Greatist article. Her cues are well paced and easy to follow. For someone who needs a little music, her videos are synced with instrumental fitness-oriented beats and tunes.
- Commune offered a sequential online yoga program for free and it was perfectly timed to my travel schedule. Courses are considerate of all levels and often shorter in duration so they can fit into busy and/or irregular schedules.
Tips I would provide are likely familiar but good reminders;
- invest in resistance bands and keep 2-3 options for varied workouts (also, these pack easy and don’t add extra weight to luggage)
- talk to your favorite trainers before you leave for their best tips and tricks on the go
- keep a flexible perspective as there will undoubtedly be variability in various factors such as space, weather, and scheduling
Other suggestions are to check out retailers such as Athleta or Lululemon for community-based options. Also, yoga studios, both franchise and locally owned, are fantastic resources. I even found some local community center options for pilates and yoga. Many events can be found through perusing Eventbrite or Facebook. You might even make a new friend!
*Photo credit to Wellness Stock Shop.
Ashley L Arnold, MBA, MPH is a lifestyle health educator and coach who supports clients to channel authority over their health, well-being, and overall vitality. Offering health education approaches and 1-on-1 coaching modules, she gets them out of excess weeds of information and inconsistent practices that don’t get desired results. Through helping people focus on the right applications paired with appropriate consideration for bio-individual facets, they become stronger, more confident self-advocates for their health. Bottom line, they will surpass challenges, embrace healthful living with ease, and, best of all, feel a greater sense of empowerment and more energy!